In 1952, the year Freeman Community Hospital was built, a group of women from the community established the Freeman Community Hospital Ladies Auxiliary. 70 women attended the first meeting in March of 1952. The purpose of this newly established organization was to supplement the services of the 16-bed hospital. At that time the officers were Mrs. Albert Haar-President; Mrs. Andrew Pollman-Vice-President; Mrs. A.A. Walters-Secretary and Mrs. Hugo Haar-Treasurer. The ladies of this newly formed organization were active, helping the new hospital in many different areas, such as assembling patient charts for the nurses, sharpening needles, sewing and mending draw sheets, patient gowns, binders and surgical gowns, and painting. For many years the auxiliary provided all linens.
Over the years this organization has worked to establish itself as a major contributing entity for Freeman Regional Health Services. Today the auxiliary holds fundraisers throughout the year to purchase needed items for the hospital and nursing home. The yearly fundraisers include the annual May membership drive, soup day, and pillow cleaning.
Current officers are Clara Martha Graber-President, Lorraine Deckert - Vice-President, Marlene Herman - Treasurer and Mary Waltner, Secretary.
For more information about the auxiliary, or if you are interested in becoming an active member (open to both women and men) contact any officer or member of the auxiliary.